Plus its Gluten Free.
Mediterranean Chicken with Tomato and Honey
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
25g/2 tablespoons butter
8 chicken thighs halved length ways or four large breasts halved
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
a good pinch of ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1.5 kg tomatoes, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons clear honey or 1 tablespoon of manuka honey (which is more intense)
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 tablespoons sesame seeds
salt and ground pepper
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large deep fry pan or a casserole dish. Add the chicken thighs or breast and cook over a medium heat until the chicken is lightly brown on both sides.
2. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, tomatoes and seasoning, heat this on a low - medium heat until the tomatoes bubble.
3. Lower the heat of the saucepan, casserole dish to low and gently simmer for 1 hour stirring and turning the chicken every now and again.
4. Transfer the chicken pieces to a warm plate and cover. Increase the heat of the fry pan/casserole dish and cook the tomato mixture stirring often until it is of thick puree consistency.
5. Next stir in the honey, and cook for 1 minute, place the chicken plus juices back in to the pan and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
6. Dry fry the almonds and sesame seeds until golden.
7. Place chicken and sauce onto a warm serving dish or individual plates and sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds. Serve as a lunch with warm fresh crusty bread.
Crockpot (a New Zealand electric casserole dish)
Transfer the chicken and tomato mixture after step two to a crockpot and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, then remove the chicken from the crockpot and transfer the tomato mixture to a deep fry pan to reduce down as from step four.